Family Style Cabbage Soup
- 1 head of white cabbage
- med onions
- 4 med white potatoes
- 3 stalks of celery
- 2 med parsnips
- 1/2 tsp dill weed
- 1/3 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 stick salted butter
How to make
Coarse chop all vegetables and place in large pot. Add enough water to cover. Add seasonings. Cook with partial cover for 1 hour. Add butter and cook additional 1/2 hour.
People tend to think there is a special recipe to make traditional Irish Stew but to be honest, there is nothing special about this Irish recipe except that it tastes delicious.
There are only four ingredients to Irish Stew making it a very low cost meal.
With potatoes being the main ingredient a typical bowl of Stew is enough as one serving but the great thing about this recipe is that it still tastes good when re-heated.
Its probably safe to say that every Irish family have their own method of making stew by adding their own ingredients for flavouring. Always remember though, keep this recipe simple.
Ingredients for cooking Traditional Irish Stew
- 2 large onions
- 4 large Carrots
- ½ stewing steak / mince or lamb
- 8 large potatoes
- Salt & pepper (personal preference)
How to make Traditional Irish stew
- Wash and cut onions into moderate size chunks and add to the pot. (dont like onions? Do not worry, this can still be cooked without onions).
- Wash carrots and cut into chunks (some prefer thicker chucks for taste).
- Wash and peel the potatoes (spuds) then cut each one in half.
- Slice the meat into smaller pieces. If using stewing mince roll into meatballs.
- Get a large pot and fill it with water. Add the potatoes and meat.
- Heat pot until water boils then add carrots and onions.
- Keep on a low boil and stir every now and then until vegetables are cooked.
- Serve hot!
Cooking time for the Irish stew should be approximately 60 minutes or when the meat is fully cooked and the potatoes are soft inside (check using a fork).
Irish Ginger Snaps
Prep (10 mins)
Cook (6 mins)
Ready In (20 mins)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cream sugar, egg, salt and shortening together. Add flour, baking soda and spices. Mix well. Roll teaspoonfuls of dough into balls and roll the balls in sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 5 to 6 minutes.